Today let’s do something to make the holidays a little brighter for the animal world. I’m not necessarily talking about putting your kittens and pups in red and green sweaters and ribbons (even though it became the fodder for what is quite possibly the funniest holiday advertisement I’ve ever seen). But there are some things we can do to give back to the animal kingdom.
Feel free to get creative, but here are a few ideas:
- Make a festive squirrel/bird feeder with a pine cone, peanut butter, and seeds.
- Donate some treats, food, or other supplies to an animal shelter. (I suggest calling your local shelter first to see what items are at the top of their wish list.)
- Donate old towels and blankets to an animal shelter. (I just learned about this one last year, but this is a great way to give your old towels another life and help out the shelters.)
- Give away some of your gently used toys, bowls, pet beds, leashes, etc. (The kittens and I go through their toys every year and either give them to friends with new pets or donate them to the shelter.)
- Research how you can volunteer at a local shelter in the new year and send an email/application and make a commitment to help out.
And if you have pets at home, be sure to give them some extra snuggles.
What are some other ideas you have for celebrating Christmas with the animal kingdom?
New to the page? Don’t worry, it’s never too late to make merry. View the archive to see what we’ve done so far and play catch-up.