Whether you’re donating some gently used clothes and blankets, sending in cash, or donating some non-perishable food items from your pantry, there are countless ways to make the holidays a little cheerier for people in your community.
Here are some suggestions for ways you can offer support to organizations that support people in your community:
- Go through your closets and donate non-perishable food items, clothes, home goods, coats, etc.
- Make a financial contribution. Often times soup kitchens or food banks can buy bulk foods that go a long ways.
- Give items such as personal hygiene items (including sanitary napkins, shaving gel, etc.), school supplies and more.
- Donate books and movies to community centers and shelters.
- Contact a local shelter and find out how you can give your time and energy to helping them fulfill their mission.
- Research the various types of shelters, food banks, and community outreach organizations in your community and learn about their greatest needs and encourage your friends to provide support.
Taking a few minutes today to do any or all of these things can go a long way to helping out someone in your community.
What are some other ideas and suggestions for supporting shelters/food banks?
New to the page? Don’t worry, it’s never too late to make merry. View the archive to see what we’ve done so far and play catch-up.